Dienstag, 1. August 2017

Gardener´s Propagation Week August 2017: Some rose cuttings in bloom!

Dear readers,
it is gardener´s propagation week August and I´d like to show you some more of my rose cuttings. In July I already shared some pictures of rose cuttings that were in bloom at the time. Not all cuttings flowered back then - three cuttings surprised me with some blooms in late July and I would like to share them with you now. The rose cuttings blooming are from cuttings I took last year. Almost all of the cuttings that rooted and survived the winter bloomed this year. I think only two didn´t. So if you take rose cuttings yourself, you can expect them to bloom the following year, which I think is great.

 I took some rose cuttings again this year. Unfortunately my success rate is still pretty low-only about 10 percent of the cuttings I take survive. During my garden vacation in England I got to know a woman, who also propagates roses from cuttings and her success rate is about 90 percent. Isn´t that amazing?! However, she does not put the cuttings into pots as I mostly do, but sticks them directly into the ground in her garden.   

I also tried myself in propagating pelargoniums for the first time two weeks ago and it seems very easy. The pelargonium cutting I took rooted in only one week, which was quite a surprise for me. I wonder if you dear readers propagated anything recently? As always, I´d like to encourage you to participate in Gardener´s Propagation week by writing a post on plant propagation this week or you could also tell me which plants you propagate at the moment in the comments. 
Have a great week!
Lisa


P.S.: If you´d like to see more pictures of rose cuttings in flower, click on following link: https://thevictoriangardener.blogspot.co.at/2017/05/gardeners-propagation-week-june-2017-my.html

Rose No 5: I think this rose could be rosa le vesuve. Soon after the bloom you see in the picture had wilted, the rose produced a new bud and I am waiting for it to open at the moment.



Rose No 5


Rose No 5


Rose No 6


Rose No 6


Rose No 6


Rose No 7


Rose No 7


Rose No 7



I took some rose cuttings again this year and as you can see in this picture, some cuttings have rooted. Unfortunately, like last year, most of the cuttings die before producing any roots. 



I like to plant the cuttings in plastic cups, so that I can see wether they have rooted already or not.

I also tried myself in propagating pelargoniums. I was surprised how easy it is. The cutting rooted  after just a week.

2 Kommentare:

  1. Dear Lisa, what a fantastic result! And the names of the roses.... rose nr 7 sounds just so mysterious. Like a real rose breeder! It seems to me a great idea to put the cutting directly into the soil. I am trying that in september. You will hear from my experiment! Groetjes Hetty

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Dear Hetty,
      I am looking forward to your results with rose cuttings. I am sure you will have some success!
      Best wishes,
      Lisa

      Löschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...