Mittwoch, 31. Mai 2017

Gardener´s Propagation week June 2017: My rose cuttings are blooming!


Dear readers,
I have been waiting for long, but finally my self-propagated roses opened their buds! I took many rose cuttings in spring and summer 2016, hoping they would produce roots and develop into plants. I must admit, propagating roses turned out to be quite a challenge. Many of my rose cuttings failed due to rotting. Nevertheless, it is such a wonderful feeling to see how some cuttings are little rose plants now. Six of them even produced buds this year and four are in bloom at the moment. Since I could´t remember which cutting is from which rose, it was a lovely surprise to see them flower for the first time. I am so pleased with their flowers and find it fascinating how such tiny plants can already produce such perfect looking flowers!

Gardener´s Propagation Week
As propagating roses was such a lovely experience for me, I would love to initiate a week every month in which I´d like to encourage other bloggers to post about the plants they propagated in their gardens or try to propagate at the moment. This, of course, could be about any kind of propagation such as taking cuttings, sowing seeds, dividing plants, or maybe some plants have self-sown in your garden. I´d be very happy if you were to participate in Gardener´s Propagation Week, which will take place in the first week of every month from now on. I´d wanted it to be a week rather than just one day as this hopefully gives you more time to participate. After participating, please share the link of your post on plant propagation in a comment. I am sure there is so much to share about plant propagation and it would be lovely to hear about your tips and tricks and results. In case you would like to try yourself in propagating roses through cuttings, now is a great time to do so. After the first rose flush is over, we will probably all be busy cutting back our roses and I am sure friends, and neighbours as well as other gardeners will be happy to share some rose cuttings with you.
If you like the idea of Gardener´s Propagation Week then please participate and share with other bloggers and gardeners.
I am looking forward to seeing your posts on plant propagation and hope you enjoy seeing my self-propagated roses!
Best wishes,
Lisa









Rose No 1: This was the first self-propagated- rose to open its buds.

Rose No 1: Here a picture of the whole plant. As you can see, the branches are very long and I am thinking of cutting them back a bit after flowering so it might grow more compact.

Rose No 1

Rose No 1

Rose No 1

Rose No 1

Rose No 1: As you might see in this picture, the colour fades from light pink to almost white.

Rose No 2: This rose is a very vigorous one. It is almost unbelievable how much it grew.

Rose No 2

Rose No 2

Rose No 2

Rose No 2

Rose No 2

Rose No 2

Rose No 3 - my absolute favourite

Rose No 3

Rose No 3


Rose No 3

Rose No 3

Rose No 3


Rose No 3
Rose No 3

Rose No 3

Rose No 3

Rose No 3

Rose No 3

Rose No 4 - a moss rose

Rose No 4

Rose No 4

Rose No 4

Rose No 4

Rose No 4

Rose No 4

Rose No 4












7 Kommentare:

  1. Good morning Lisa,
    You are a lucky girl having succes with cuttings of the roses. I am currious to see what your experience is with them growing on theire own roots now. My dog Vito chewed on a rose and I tried to make them grown but helas the cuttings did rotting.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Rosehugs Marijke

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Dear Marijke,
      thank you for commenting! Yes, I am lucky and so happy that some cuttings have made it. I expect them to do fine on their own roots as old roses are said to do well on their own roots. I am sorry to hear that your cutting rotted. This also happened to many of my cuttings. It is quite a challenge. Nevertheless, keep trying! If you take many cuttings the chances are good, that at least some will make it. I t also depends on the rose variety. Some roses root more easily than others. You might try it with ramblers at the beginning, these are said to be easier to propagate.
      Best wishes,
      Lisa

      Löschen
  2. Well done Lisa - you must be delighted and very pleased with your results.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you, Rosemary! Yes, I am so happy some cuttings made it into plants!
      Best wishes,
      Lisa

      Löschen
  3. Hello Lisa, your roses are beautiful.
    I like to watch.
    Good start to the month.
    Janicce.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hello Janicce,
      I am happy you liked my post!
      Please visit again soon!
      Best wishes,
      Lisa

      Löschen
  4. Hi Lisa! Propagating roses looks like a rocket science for me! You did a great job! I love all the blooms!
    As for me, the easiest is propagating hydrangeas. I have a dozen of shrubs growing from hydrangea cuttings. Grapes are also easy. Roses, of course, are more complicated. Good luck to you! And, thank you for your comment on my blog!

    AntwortenLöschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...